The whole process of getting separated from your spouse and filing for divorce can be extremely stressful. You need to ensure that all the essential pointers are discussed, and it can be even more complicated, when things like alimony, child custody, and child support gets involved. Instead of trying to understand the complicated family laws and other aspects related to the divorce, consider hiring an attorney. In this post, we are sharing some of the questions that you must ask before taking things ahead with a lawyer.
- Check the reviews. To know if a divorce lawyer is worth your time, you have to consider their market standing and credibility. For instance, if you are looking for a lawyer in Quebec and check for Andrew Heft reviews, you will find that most clients have good things to say about his approach. A good lawyer can make or break your case.
- Experience and expertise. Not all divorce attorneys are same, and as a client, you have to do your homework. Start by checking the experience of the concerned attorney. For instance, for how long they have been a divorce attorney? Do they have other attorneys working in the law firm? Do they have an understanding of aspects like child custody and alimony?
- Fee. Many divorce attorneys prefer to work on a retainer basis, while others may want an hourly fee. Ensure that you can afford a lawyer in the first place. A good lawyer will try to offer the best advice to resolve the matter as soon as possible.
- Ask about negotiation. A good divorce attorney should be able to negotiate on your behalf to protect your rights and interests. Your lawyer will explain your rights, what you should agree to, and things that are not fair in the final papers.
- Get references. If a divorce attorney claims to be the best in your area, they should have enough clients. Talk to some of their previous clients and ask the lawyer if they have handled cases similar to yours.